Tuesday, April 6, 2010

First Severe Thunderstorm Of The Season

Last night I filmed the first severe thunderstorm of the season in Columbus, Ohio. This thunderstorm had a tornadic vortex signature at one point.



As you can see, there was a distinctive hook at the time that this radar image was scanned. If the way the wind shifted was any indication, this storm was definitely rotating by the time it reached us. However, there was no tornado warning.



By the time the back end of the storm had passed over me, I found myself having to wipe rain water off the camera lens as the wind had shifted at an angle that was soaking the interior of my car.



All in all, it was a great start to the season. I just wish I could have found my HD camera in time for the lightning show. However, it's good to have something to work up to.

No comments: